87 replies to this topic

#1 bitComposer_Michael

bitComposer_Michael

Producer

• Administrators
  • 1763 posts
  • LocationDeutschland

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

So, the Demo is released. Contains: Tutorial. Laboratory in the Orta-Swamps. Weight: 354 MB. Voices: German and English. Text: English, German, French, Spanish, Italian. Will update the list as soon as I have more links to share.

First Download mirrors:

http://www.4players.de/4players.php/download_info/Downloads/Download/57397/Jagged_Alliance_Back_in_Action/Demo.html
http://www.patch-your-games.com/pc-demos/demo-jagged-alliance-back-in-action.html
http://www.patch-your-games.com/en/pc-game-demos/jagged-alliance-back-in-action-demo.html
http://inside-games.de/news/jagged-alliance-back-in-action-%E2%80%93-fur-alle-die-nicht-warten-wollen-hier-die-demo-11225
http://gamezcheck.de/index.php/medien/downloads/3518-demo-jagged-alliance-back-in-action.html
http://www.zockerheim.de/11917/jagged-alliance-back-in-action-demo-veroffentlicht/
http://www.gamershell.com/download_84934.shtml
http://games.softpedia.com/get/Games-Demo/Jagged-Alliance-Back-in-Action.shtml
http://www.gamesdot.org/download/Jagged-Alliance-Back-in-Action-Demo-4449.html
http://www.gameswelt.de/downloads/demos/154813-Jagged_Alliance_Back_in_Action.html
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21277159/jabia_demo_EFIGS_exe
http://www.shacknews.com/file/30274/jagged-alliance-back-in-action-demo
http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/demos/jaggedalliancebackinaction/demo.html

WARNING: The demo is REALLY, I mean REAAALLLY, hard. The Level included is on maximum level of units.
I won't answer all questions. I do my best to answer those I can and I am allowed to answer.

Please note: Check my profile for updates sometimes. Cause sometimes I update it with interesting posts. Or with informations about my holidays. Which also can be interesting if you are waiting for support.

#2 Bishie

Bishie

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

Great, thanks... ^_^

#3 Mindless

Mindless

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationCape Town, South Africa

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

You rock Michael! Thanks.

When last has someone seen a demo being only 354MB's! At least it will download quickly... :)

#4 bitComposer_Michael

bitComposer_Michael

Producer

• Administrators
  • 1763 posts
  • LocationDeutschland

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:56 PM

You know, size does not always matter. Especially these days where most demos and games are not optimized since there is enough space and since the computers are fast enough to take everything. But still you could (evern SHOULD) optimize.
I won't answer all questions. I do my best to answer those I can and I am allowed to answer.

Please note: Check my profile for updates sometimes. Cause sometimes I update it with interesting posts. Or with informations about my holidays. Which also can be interesting if you are waiting for support.

#5 Pigpen

Pigpen

A real Bubba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

Yeah, I'd say the AI has changed...they just handed me my A$$!!!! Killed all 4 of my mercs! I'm liking what I'm seeing though with the textures of the environment and mercs.

#6 Bawtzki

Bawtzki

A real Bubba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationSlovenia

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

I like what I'm seeing as well! Only played a few minutes so far, but so far so good. Open rush is no go, as AI seems to kill you pretty fast. And I was able to get some nice stealthy kills with Magic (<3 for including him in the demo, btw!), which is a huge plus for me since I love stealth in games :). Controls are fairly intuitive, only thing I'd change is middle mouse button to control the camera pitch and rotation, at the moment it controls X/Y movement axis and that's much better done with WASD. I also wasn't able to find quicksave/load buttons, but that's minor problem. And yeah, props for keeping demo size low, rare these days.

At the moment it looks like day 1 purchase, easily.

#7 bitComposer_Michael

bitComposer_Michael

Producer

• Administrators
  • 1763 posts
  • LocationDeutschland

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

No quicksave in the game. The game creates an autosave infront of every beginning battle, so you'll still have the chance to run away after reload. Also you can save the game via the menu as long as you are not in battle.

#8 Wigen2

Wigen2

Jagged Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

How many missions are in the demo?
Posted Image

#9 bitComposer_Michael

bitComposer_Michael

Producer

• Administrators
  • 1763 posts
  • LocationDeutschland

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

Have a look at the first post.

#10 Bishie

Bishie

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

Alright, so I've spent some time with the demo now and my first impressions are.
It's ok.
Something that really need to be changed is the camera, it's atrocious (just like it was in silent storm but there you could change it around in a cfg file).

I've already run into a few bugs, such as sometimes the soldiers are able to him me through "solid" items and sometimes they can't and vice versa from my part.
Another bug is that even when a silencer wasn't supposed to go on magics main weapon I put it on the pistol and just switched from pistol to AR and the silencer stayed there (no idea if the weapon still got the benefit from it though).

Either it's me or I don't quite fully understand the guard feature because I've set lynx to guard yet sometimes when an enemy runs into his line of sight he doesn't fire and just stands there, same with the other mercs.
The plan and go feature is better than expected and I like it, wasn't a problem to begin with either.

Edit: After playing around with the camera I see the controls aren't so bad, but the angles and zoom are still kind of bothering me. :(

#11 bitComposer_Michael

bitComposer_Michael

Producer

• Administrators
  • 1763 posts
  • LocationDeutschland

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

Alright, so I've spent some time with the demo now and my first impressions are.
It's ok.
Something that really need to be changed is the camera, it's atrocious (just like it was in silent storm but there you could change it around in a cfg file).
Should be able to zoom out more than we can and having to press alt to be able to pan the camera around is poopy as well as there's no tilt function (besides the one when zooming in/out).
I've already run into a few bugs, such as sometimes the soldiers are able to him me through "solid" items and sometimes they can't and vice versa from my part.
Another bug is that even when a silencer wasn't supposed to go on magics main weapon I put it on the pistol and just switched from pistol to AR and the silencer stayed there (no idea if the weapon still got the benefit from it though).

Either it's me or I don't quite fully understand the guard feature because I've set lynx to guard yet sometimes when an enemy runs into his line of sight he doesn't fire and just stands there, same with the other mercs.
The plan and go feature is better than expected and I like it, wasn't a problem to begin with either.

Camera can be set back with X I think (is mentioned in the tutorial).
Shots through solid items: Which exactly? Bullets can go through wood for example. And if the enemy can see you he can shot at you. They cannot shot throw definite objects (like walls)
The silencer stays in the slot as long as you equip weapons which are able to use it.

#12 myte

myte

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationIstanbul / Turkey

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

just start download it seems for my weak connection it will take an hour so at the end it comes one hour doesn't change any thing for me :)
for Steam @myte1why

#13 Bawtzki

Bawtzki

A real Bubba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationSlovenia

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

The silencer stays in the slot as long as you equip weapons which are able to use it.

Silencer does seem to be bugged, if you have Pistol + Silencer equipped and switch pistol with assault rifle, silencer stays equipped (but doesn't reduce noise, so likely a display issue). However, if you then unequip silencer and try to put it back while having assault rifle equipped, it won't work, as per design.

#14 70sCommander

70sCommander

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

Silencer does seem to be bugged, if you have Pistol + Silencer equipped and switch pistol with assault rifle, silencer stays equipped (but doesn't reduce noise, so likely a display issue). However, if you then unequip silencer and try to put it back while having assault rifle equipped, it won't work, as per design.

I want to mention that Carlos has opened a Thread for Bugs ... maybe you can report it there?

#15 Bishie

Bishie

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

Camera can be set back with X I think (is mentioned in the tutorial).
Shots through solid items: Which exactly? Bullets can go through wood for example. And if the enemy can see you he can shot at you. They cannot shot throw definite objects (like walls)

It's not the reset of the camera, it's the zoom and tilt (meaning not enough to zoom out and I can't tilt the camera up/down).
Can't equip silencer if I have an AR in my main hand but if I switch to gun I can equip a silencer and then if I switch back the the AR the silencer stays (not sure about the bonus).
I got shot through what looked like some kind of steel object and I was lying down behind it so I wasn't seen (it was the only enemy soldier left) yet I got shot.

#16 bitComposer_Michael

bitComposer_Michael

Producer

• Administrators
  • 1763 posts
  • LocationDeutschland

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

Yeah the glitch is confirmed for the demo (silencer). However already fixed in the full game. (My bad for the misunderstanding)
For the material: It COULD be that there's some whole where he shot through. can't figure it out right now.

#17 Bishie

Bishie

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

Yeah the glitch is confirmed for the demo (silencer). However already fixed in the full game. (My bad for the misunderstanding)
For the material: It COULD be that there's some whole where he shot through. can't figure it out right now.

Well, it might be a clipping issue since my head was poking out through the material while lying prone.

Also for further feedback;
The game is hard, in a way not that it outsmarts you but throws everything at you.
Got to the offices and got stormed by all the troops (around 8 or so) and got mashed because I wasn't killing fast enough. Alright, reload and try something else, try to throw a frag this time and what happens is that he throws it 3 meters in-front of him. o.O
The AI isn't smarter but it's more alert in a sense that they were outside the building and one guy got shot and they all came running, it didn't try to flank me or anything it just kept coming and coming. Every reload with the same result.

#18 bitComposer_Michael

bitComposer_Michael

Producer

• Administrators
  • 1763 posts
  • LocationDeutschland

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

Ah okay. That could indeed be the case.

#19 Naterstein

Naterstein

Unfinished Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

The game is hard, in a way not that it outsmarts you but throws everything at you..

Maybe it was smart since they outnumbered you. They used a frontal assault with good results for them. Haha... just razzing you. Hopefully the final product will have some smart AI.

#20 sandman

sandman

Little Ivan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

:) Thanks for the demo, Michael!
Really challenging and fun, just how i like it :)
However, we need a wee bit more statistics IMO.. Kind of anoying not knowing whether your smg or sidarm is quicker to ready and fire, reload and so on..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users