398 replies to this topic

#1 Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat

Fresh Blood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:57 AM

What is the modability of this game? I see pre-order incentives which hint at DLC which usually indicates no modding.

When I see all the issues I have with this remake, if it cant be modded to change some of them I plan on not purchasing this game.

#2 bitComposer_Michael

bitComposer_Michael

Producer

• Administrators
  • 1763 posts
  • LocationDeutschland

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

Kalypso answered this question for north america, we answered it for the european market already: We won't give support on modding. No modtools or editors. However we won't stop people from modding the game if they want to.

Update: I think I should explain the reasons for that like in the german forums. The thing is we cannot release the editors and stuff. Two reasons for that one. First, they are not very comfortable and easy to use. Sure, that's not the main reason although it would be same like releasing the whole source code and the engine for free. The main reason is that there are third party tools used and included and therefore it's a license-problem.
I won't answer all questions. I do my best to answer those I can and I am allowed to answer.

Please note: Check my profile for updates sometimes. Cause sometimes I update it with interesting posts. Or with informations about my holidays. Which also can be interesting if you are waiting for support.

#3 b15h09

b15h09

Little Ivan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

Alright, just want to make sure I'm getting this straight. No mod support because of licensing. Understandable. Now, is the AI based off scipting files, or is it hard coded into the game? I've heard the AI is subpar from a few preview sites, but that's okay if the community can tweak it, or if it's up to snuff by release time. Same with items. Will modders be able to add new items by altering config files and adding their assets to folders? Or again, is it hard coded?

I've been pretty excited about this game for the better part of the last year. When I heard there would be no turn-based mode, I was disappointed, though I think the plan and go could work. I still think that there should have been a turn based mode that could be selectable at game start. Since you went through the effort of recreating all the assets of the original, I'm surprised by the decision to not recreate the combat system of the original, even if you wanted to add your own spin to it, as well. Anyway, I can live with that. Then I find that Fog of War won't be in the game. Seems like a major no no. Now I'm hearing no mod support...

The only way I can justify buying this is if assets and scripts aren't hard coded. If they aren't, we'll likely see community support to bring this game back towards where the original was. If they are, then the game simply is what it is...

#4 RavenCZ

RavenCZ

Little Ivan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

Alright, just want to make sure I'm getting this straight. No mod support because of licensing. Understandable. Now, is the AI based off scipting files, or is it hard coded into the game? I've heard the AI is subpar from a few preview sites, but that's okay if the community can tweak it, or if it's up to snuff by release time. Same with items. Will modders be able to add new items by altering config files and adding their assets to folders? Or again, is it hard coded?

I've been pretty excited about this game for the better part of the last year. When I heard there would be no turn-based mode, I was disappointed, though I think the plan and go could work. I still think that there should have been a turn based mode that could be selectable at game start. Since you went through the effort of recreating all the assets of the original, I'm surprised by the decision to not recreate the combat system of the original, even if you wanted to add your own spin to it, as well. Anyway, I can live with that. Then I find that Fog of War won't be in the game. Seems like a major no no. Now I'm hearing no mod support...

The only way I can justify buying this is if assets and scripts aren't hard coded. If they aren't, we'll likely see community support to bring this game back towards where the original was. If they are, then the game simply is what it is...

Now i must sounds stupid, but can you explain me when can be BiA modded and when can't? This is something i didn't know and sounds interesting. Thanks

#5 Kuujis

Kuujis

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

Now i must sounds stupid, but can you explain me when can be BiA modded and when can't? This is something i didn't know and sounds interesting. Thanks

It is not possible to mod things, which are hardcoded in game executable file. Like - "you cant change how mouse click is handled by the game because that is done in exe file, which is hard if not impossible to change". Hardcoding could be done in other ways, e.g. "all items are stored in this encrypted file and no other locations are checked when creating ingame items at runtime". In this case modding would involve over-writing the sole file if that is even possible. Hardcoding in this context represents something, that is made constant during development due to various reasons.

On the other hand - it could be done in a different manner, e.g. "Items are loaded from files ending with *.itm which are located in folder %install_dir%/items", in this case modder could theoretically create any number of these files and they would be read by the executable.

As for tweaking AI - good question by OP, but only Michael might be able to answer that. Is it in any way externalized? How is behavior handled? And - will it be possible to get some unofficial "hints" as to what value does what? That would cut trial and error method, which is generally used otherwise...

#6 Kell Aset

Kell Aset

Jagged Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:41 AM

Fallout mod could be very interesting :D .

#7 Grunty

Grunty

Deadly Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

Fallout mod could be very interesting :D .

No total conversion mods. Most interesting would be mods, that make the game work in the first place. Since the developer cant do it himself obviously. :rolleyes:

#8 zero

zero

Unfinished Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:00 AM

only that most of the things that need fixing are most likely hardcoded so nothing can be done about them modding wise

#9 R@S

R@S

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

It seems like many of the files and resources will be encrypted, and the devs/pubs have no plans of releasing the tools needed to decrypt them. But this might change down the line, I really hope they'll at least consider it. If not, I also have the notion that if someone manages to crack the encryption, bC wouldn't do anything to stop them.

My guess is that we'll be seeing at least some from of modifications down the line, I know I wouldn't mind having a go at it.
http://bluesunmod.webs.com/

#10 Wigen2

Wigen2

Jagged Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:27 PM

After you spend modding tools for a few months after its release. Many developers of the world does.
Posted Image

#11 LtChambers

LtChambers

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

It seems like many of the files and resources will be encrypted, and the devs/pubs have no plans of releasing the tools needed to decrypt them. But this might change down the line, I really hope they'll at least consider it. If not, I also have the notion that if someone manages to crack the encryption, bC wouldn't do anything to stop them.

My guess is that we'll be seeing at least some from of modifications down the line, I know I wouldn't mind having a go at it.

What makes you say they'll be encrypted? And to be clear, you mean that they have been encrypted with private-key encryption like AES/DES, not just multiple files compressed and archived into a package file?

#12 R@S

R@S

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

Sorry, I meant to say encryption of the proprietary formats, which I assume means that the files that are tied to the Coreplay engine are using their unique(encrypted?) file format. I don't know how much they will try to keep the player out of the files that aren't tied to graphics and game engine, but I guess we'll know that in a couple of weeks.

#13 LtChambers

LtChambers

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:50 PM

I doubt any files are encrypted. Private key encryption is easily crackable if the executable contains the key (which it must to decrypt the files). The license restrictions just mean that they can't release the 3rd party tools that their engine depends on, not that they have to encrypt the content (which they own; just like you're free to distribute your own file in a proprietary 3DSMax or PhotoShop format).

#14 R@S

R@S

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

They don't have to encrypt or otherwise try to protect any of the files, but we don't know what they've done yet. And so far I haven't been able to find out what type of files the engine will use, but I have a butt-load of conversion progs already and will start looking into it as soon as I have gotten the feel of the game. If I don't get too hooked and can't stop playing it, that is :)

#15 myte

myte

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationIstanbul / Turkey

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:12 AM

Kalypso answered this question for north america, we answered it for the european market already: We won't give support on modding. No modtools or editors. However we won't stop people from modding the game if they want to.

Update: I think I should explain the reasons for that like in the german forums. The thing is we cannot release the editors and stuff. Two reasons for that one. First, they are not very comfortable and easy to use. Sure, that's not the main reason although it would be same like releasing the whole source code and the engine for free. The main reason is that there are third party tools used and included and therefore it's a license-problem.

Hey this makes a question from my side If community try to build a mod will there help from You (I mentioned company)?
as Question/answer base!
for Steam @myte1why

#16 bitComposer_Michael

bitComposer_Michael

Producer

• Administrators
  • 1763 posts
  • LocationDeutschland

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

Hmmm. Hard to say. If we can find the time, that could be possible.
I won't answer all questions. I do my best to answer those I can and I am allowed to answer.

Please note: Check my profile for updates sometimes. Cause sometimes I update it with interesting posts. Or with informations about my holidays. Which also can be interesting if you are waiting for support.

#17 R@S

R@S

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

Not to worry myte, since I come from a community that shares information and help freely, I will share whatever I might discover. But we will need some help from bC, and I'm sure if we can come up with good arguments they will try their best to help us.

So, will the demo be using a similar file structure as the full game? Like the same files will be inside eventual BIN archives or something similar? I'll hopefully know the answer before you get a chance to read this, it being a weekend and all :P

#18 bitComposer_Michael

bitComposer_Michael

Producer

• Administrators
  • 1763 posts
  • LocationDeutschland

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

So, will the demo be using a similar file structure as the full game? Like the same files will be inside eventual BIN archives or something similar? I'll hopefully know the answer before you get a chance to read this, it being a weekend and all :P

Since I'm at home and not at work I cannot answer your question. I'd have to look that one up by checking the files.

#19 R@S

R@S

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

Thanks Micheal, but I think you have your hands full already and will find out soon enough. And consider that you are doing this on your free time, amazing :)

#20 bitComposer_Michael

bitComposer_Michael

Producer

• Administrators
  • 1763 posts
  • LocationDeutschland

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

As said before: I really like the final product. Most of my colleague at work even say I'm mentally ill to try to discuss with the... let's say conservative JA-fans. But hey, I believe in the game so I at least can try it ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users