227 replies to this topic

#61 Gonzo

Gonzo

Little Ivan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

I've made a few screenshots what the DefSlots and Defenders settings correctly do. My settings for Drassen was:

DefSlots 36
 Defenders 1 1 1 1 1

Spoiler

Day 1: As you can clearly see, there are 1 of each level present at game start
Day 2: One level-1 defender was added
Day 2 later: A level-up occured for maybe an L1, L2, and L3 what spawned an additional L4 in the end
Day 3: One level-1 defender was added
Day 4: One level-1 defender was added
Day 5: One level-1 defender was added, and it looks like two L1 leveled-up to L2

You see that the Defender setting is only the game start numbers for each level, and the sum of all can be further increased up to the Slot value.
This whole leveling seems random and not only at 0:00. It's possible that leveling can happen after a successful defense for militia if the player leaves the tactical screen or it's still only randomly - no clue yet. I haven't noticed any realtime level-up for milita guys yet.

#62 Nightprowler

Nightprowler

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

I've made a few screenshots what the DefSlots and Defenders settings correctly do. My settings for Drassen was:

DefSlots 36
 Defenders 1 1 1 1 1

Spoiler

Day 1: As you can clearly see, there are 1 of each level present at game start
Day 2: One level-1 defender was added
Day 2 later: A level-up occured for maybe an L1, L2, and L3 what spawned an additional L4 in the end
Day 3: One level-1 defender was added
Day 4: One level-1 defender was added
Day 5: One level-1 defender was added, and it looks like two L1 leveled-up to L2

You see that the Defender setting is only the game start numbers for each level, and the sum of all can be further increased up to the Slot value.
This whole leveling seems random and not only at 0:00. It's possible that leveling can happen after a successful defense for militia if the player leaves the tactical screen or it's still only randomly - no clue yet. I haven't noticed any realtime level-up for milita guys yet.

Actually, I'm not sure if that test is "valid", let me explain...
If your setting states there's a max amount of 36, but then only allow for 1 of each lvl, maybe the game somehow bypasses it.
It may take further investigation... you've spotted an interesting question here :)

#63 Gonzo

Gonzo

Little Ivan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

For all non-believers, this time following setting:

DefSlots 6
Defenders 1 1 1 1 1

Spoiler

Day 2: One L1 was added
Day 2 later: Two L1 leveled to L2 and a L2 leveled to L3
Day 3 0:00: No additional defender was added due DefSlots limit of 6
Day 3 later: One L2 leveled to L3
Day 4: One L3 leveled to L4

What happens with following setting:
DefSlots 4
Defenders 1 1 1 1 1

Spoiler

Day 1: One L1 was removed at game start
Day 2: No additional defenders and one L2 leveled to L3

Theoretically, the player/Deidranna will only have L5 one day due leveling, up to the number defined in MilSlots/DefSlots.

That's how it works. It's not that complicated.

PS: It looks like there is a limit though how many characters can be spawned on each map. For example, if you set the numbers very high, like 50, for Drassen Airport, you won't see as many defenders when you start the mission.

#64 daedalusxxi

daedalusxxi

A real Bubba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

Hey guys is there any way of increasing difficulty? in this mod , apart from editing the files you talk about?

not playing much I must say , but considering we know the location of enemies , its quite easy wipping them out with

3 not superhigh lvl mercs actually...

I dont want to continue playing this way as I think its spoiling the game...maybe its too much advantage the ausence of

Fow ?

Thanks for the update in the mod , btw , its really really nice and hopeful seeing that mods are putting together a half-made

game...

#65 mawashi

mawashi

Little Ivan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

PS: It looks like there is a limit though how many characters can be spawned on each map. For example, if you set the numbers very high, like 50, for Drassen Airport, you won't see as many defenders when you start the mission.

Well, I set DefSlots = 50 at Drassen Airport, also set the Defenders values to let their sum = 50. As a result I initially got 28 enemies. I killed them all, but after that once I clicked on the World Map I got the second wave in a form of deadly ambush. And that's what really sucked as both my two-member team and the ambushing enemies were placed in the middle of the map close to each other so there was no escape, I was overrun and dead in 10 seconds.

See how such a battle begins, and guess your odds. :D

Spoiler

#66 FinnBat

FinnBat

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

DefSlots, yes...actually we should not touch that one as it is the amount of slots they have made for map and it cant be changed.
Thats the reason you got all which goes above the value up later on the map as long they are left outside.

Someone asked why many maps the max number of defenders and some not. Well, I used my experiences from some maps and if I know the map is as itself allready a bad one then I didnt press you to the end. Game must still give pleasure and enjoyment to play. Right or not.
You can run... but you cant hide !

Ultimate AIM-Professionals

FinnBats Blog

#67 Gracer

Gracer

Jagged Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

I have another kind of question.
I have previous version of mod installed and 3 or 4 location cleared from enemies. Can I continue the game with this update? or there is a need of starting NEW game AGAIN? :)))

BTW: this mod is great, for the first time I realized the necessity of cover behind boulders and coners, throwing grenades and burst mode without any sadness of loosing expensive equipment. FinnBat thanks a lot!

#68 Im@rtAl

Im@rtAl

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

I have another kind of question.
I have previous version of mod installed and 3 or 4 location cleared from enemies. Can I continue the game with this update? or there is a need of starting NEW game AGAIN? :)))

BTW: this mod is great, for the first time I realized the necessity of cover behind boulders and coners, throwing grenades and burst mode without any sadness of loosing expensive equipment. FinnBat thanks a lot!

i had ver 1.0 and installed v1.1 with no problems with no data loose.... just overwrite the files and you should be good to go .

#69 Gonzo

Gonzo

Little Ivan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

See how such a battle begins, and guess your odds. :D

Hah, my condolences for your pitiful test-team!
It's a great example of Marine Corps rule #1 for gunfighting: Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns.

It remembers me of the Bloodcat ambushes in JA2. They had at least no automatic weapons what gave you a chance to maw them down before they sliced you to pieces.

Good to know it's not the best idea to increase Defenders beyond the map-limit!
I've increased them here and there but had no time to test every place yet. I better recheck the maps with 100 defenders and count the reds at first what the limits are.

PS: I've tested a dozen maps, and it looks like that the vanilla DefSlots numbers are identical to the map limits.
What I still don't know if it's safe to increase the MilSlots number up to the DefSlots one. I guess so.

PPS: The spawn/hang-around points of unarmed militia guys is also limited, but more will appear if you armed some and reenter the map. The armed ones take up the same position and patrol routes like Deidranna's, so it should be safe to the MilSlots value up to the DefSlots one.

#70 Nightprowler

Nightprowler

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

Good to know it's not the best idea to increase Defenders beyond the map-limit!
I've increased them here and there but had no time to test every place yet. I better recheck the maps with 100 defenders and count the reds at first what the limits are.

PS: I've tested a dozen maps, and it looks like that the vanilla DefSlots numbers are identical to the map limits.
What I still don't know if it's safe to increase the MilSlots number up to the DefSlots one. I guess so.

The limit of enemies is set by the number of spawn points on the map, so yes, it's a bad idea to increase it over that :)
As for the Militias, it seems that, if you add too many, some will spawn bugged. ie, they won't turn Defender once handed a gun, and the game will crash if you try to pick your gun back.

#71 Gonzo

Gonzo

Little Ivan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

I tested it with Drassen Airport and MilSlots 27 what spawned 10 although only 8 appeared at first. After arming the 8, two more unarmed appeared what worked so far beyond the vanilla MilSlot value of 9.
I also remember once a crash but that was during a game session when I changed the numbers. Well okay, I'll be careful and better stick to the vanilla slot numbers then.

#72 Nightprowler

Nightprowler

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

I tested it with Drassen Airport and MilSlots 27 what spawned 10 although only 8 appeared at first. After arming the 8, two more unarmed appeared what worked so far beyond the vanilla MilSlot value of 9.
I also remember once a crash but that was during a game session when I changed the numbers. Well okay, I'll be careful and better stick to the vanilla slot numbers then.

I tend to think you can increase the value without issue, as long as you don't go way above that... not sure tho.
I'm going through a game right now with some testing. I'll look into things deeper once done :)

#73 Gracer

Gracer

Jagged Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

Im@rtAl, thanks for answer.

#74 depresso

depresso

Fresh Blood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

Been playing the new version for many hours (20+) now and here are some of my thoughts:

• With all of the changes and so forth, especially with the gun values and damage/range/etc, what exactly is the point of having a handgun or a SMG if they do less damage than an AR?
  • It also annoys me how when you change weapons that you immediately have to reload, that somehow my Merc is that incredibly stupid that when he holsters his weapon he removes the magazine from it. - Is there a way to change this?
  • I am also of the opinion that if you are standing and firing you should fire quicker but be less accurate, whereas if you lying down you should be more accurate but fire a 'little' slower (crouch being somewhere in the middle). So why is it that when you a lying down with the weapon you are at sometimes a massive disadvantage?
  • As it stands any of the starting soldiers with SMGs are absolutely pointless to use, as the enemies see you a mile away, and your bullets (although 9mm) do 1-5 damage when shot in the torso (yes i understand that 9mm rounds are generally shrugged off by armor - but perhaps we could incorporate a stagger into the hits? dont know if this is possible - seen some soldiers when hit stagger backwards or fall over when hit with some ammunition types). That way, although 9mm rounds generally dont do much damage, you could shot an enemy a few times, stagger/knock them over advance on them and put a round into their temple. - Is this possible?
  • Do we know if a future patch (by the JA:BiA devs) will allow to modify our inventory size?
  • And do we know if there is a way we can make the armor have higher durability? or make the toolbox (or something else) repair the durability of armor? I wouldnt care if we had to make a new consumable (Armor Plates) and make that useable so we replace what is worn from the vest / pants. Helmets wouldnt have this repairability thought. - Any idea if this can be implemented at all? Ive had a look but am unsure.

Cheers, and keep up the good work :)

#75 Nightprowler

Nightprowler

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

Been playing the new version for many hours (20+) now and here are some of my thoughts:

• With all of the changes and so forth, especially with the gun values and damage/range/etc, what exactly is the point of having a handgun or a SMG if they do less damage than an AR?
  • It also annoys me how when you change weapons that you immediately have to reload, that somehow my Merc is that incredibly stupid that when he holsters his weapon he removes the magazine from it. - Is there a way to change this?
  • I am also of the opinion that if you are standing and firing you should fire quicker but be less accurate, whereas if you lying down you should be more accurate but fire a 'little' slower (crouch being somewhere in the middle). So why is it that when you a lying down with the weapon you are at sometimes a massive disadvantage?
  • As it stands any of the starting soldiers with SMGs are absolutely pointless to use, as the enemies see you a mile away, and your bullets (although 9mm) do 1-5 damage when shot in the torso (yes i understand that 9mm rounds are generally shrugged off by armor - but perhaps we could incorporate a stagger into the hits? dont know if this is possible - seen some soldiers when hit stagger backwards or fall over when hit with some ammunition types). That way, although 9mm rounds generally dont do much damage, you could shot an enemy a few times, stagger/knock them over advance on them and put a round into their temple. - Is this possible?
  • Do we know if a future patch (by the JA:BiA devs) will allow to modify our inventory size?
  • And do we know if there is a way we can make the armor have higher durability? or make the toolbox (or something else) repair the durability of armor? I wouldnt care if we had to make a new consumable (Armor Plates) and make that useable so we replace what is worn from the vest / pants. Helmets wouldnt have this repairability thought. - Any idea if this can be implemented at all? Ive had a look but am unsure.

Cheers, and keep up the good work :)

The next major patch (coming soon) will revamp the whole inventory system. We don't know the details, but it COULD answer a couple of your (and our) wishes... ammos system, inventory size itself and so on.
There's no way in the actual game status to either raise the durability of the armors or make em reparable.

#76 FinnBat

FinnBat

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

@Depresso, the 9mm are not worth much. They work in close range and burst even better. But if you see enemy have baret in the head, then it is there you have to shoot.

Idea is to "live from the earth" in first scenarios. You will get better guns from enemy (if you survive long...)
I feel the touch is very nice now in the battles. You have to be like Indian, sneak and ambush them in closer ranges.
Use grenades, also smoke ones are very good to get them closer.

What comes to reloading and deloading it is the system we cant do nothing so far.

FinnBats Blog

#77 depresso

depresso

Fresh Blood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

Thanks guys :)
I might have a play tonight with the weapon damages and the ammunition armor penetration values... as playing around with handgun and some bad guys - 4 shots in the face seems a tad unrealistic (especially since they were only wearing berets).

Thinking about making the pistols have comparable damage to SMGs/ARs, but the difference will be their effective range and armor penetration (depending on ammunition used). Handguns maybe 10m, SMGs 20m, AR 30m+, Snipers 100m+. I got this fairly close last night, picking off troops at distance with sniper, then advancing with AR when enemy closed in on my position, then running and gunning through buildings/confined spaces pulled out SMG, and if worse comes to worse, pistol :P.

This would be alot better if in the next patch or sometime down the track the ability to keep a weapon loaded when changing would be fantastic... pinned down behind cover, firing AR until empty, enemy still approaching (because your an idiot and you shouldn't have let them get in range in the first place), pull out pistol and try to make it through the fight.

That way, sneaking around a corner with a suppressed handgun and putting a single round into an unsuspecting soldiers temple wont be a fruitless (and sometimes costly) endeavour.

Question: Speaking of which, do you know if you can use multiple types of ammunition in a weapon? ie: hollow-points vs. FMJ etc?

Sniping feels dead on however, and especially on the first level (if you add a couple of level 4 or 5 soldiers) who have sniper rifles, making a bad move will end with a sniper round through your face before you know it.

My last thought is the 'cooking' of grenades, a skill I think that most (if not all) mercs should have. I know that when Explosives is at 100 when they throw a grenade it explodes where it lands.

Question: does the delay in which a grenade explodes change depending on the level of the skill? or is it 0-99 'dont cook grenade' or 100 'cook grenade' ?

#78 Nightprowler

Nightprowler

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

Thanks guys :)
I might have a play tonight with the weapon damages and the ammunition armor penetration values... as playing around with handgun and some bad guys - 4 shots in the face seems a tad unrealistic (especially since they were only wearing berets).

Thinking about making the pistols have comparable damage to SMGs/ARs, but the difference will be their effective range and armor penetration (depending on ammunition used). Handguns maybe 10m, SMGs 20m, AR 30m+, Snipers 100m+. I got this fairly close last night, picking off troops at distance with sniper, then advancing with AR when enemy closed in on my position, then running and gunning through buildings/confined spaces pulled out SMG, and if worse comes to worse, pistol :P.

This would be alot better if in the next patch or sometime down the track the ability to keep a weapon loaded when changing would be fantastic... pinned down behind cover, firing AR until empty, enemy still approaching (because your an idiot and you shouldn't have let them get in range in the first place), pull out pistol and try to make it through the fight.

That way, sneaking around a corner with a suppressed handgun and putting a single round into an unsuspecting soldiers temple wont be a fruitless (and sometimes costly) endeavour.

Question: Speaking of which, do you know if you can use multiple types of ammunition in a weapon? ie: hollow-points vs. FMJ etc?

Sniping feels dead on however, and especially on the first level (if you add a couple of level 4 or 5 soldiers) who have sniper rifles, making a bad move will end with a sniper round through your face before you know it.

My last thought is the 'cooking' of grenades, a skill I think that most (if not all) mercs should have. I know that when Explosives is at 100 when they throw a grenade it explodes where it lands.

Question: does the delay in which a grenade explodes change depending on the level of the skill? or is it 0-99 'dont cook grenade' or 100 'cook grenade' ?

I'm not sure about the ammos. R@S could prob answer you that since he's added some weapons tho.
I won't comment on sniping since I don't use the same mod as you :)
As for cooking of grenades, it seems the higher the Explosive skill is, the better it is... roughly, it lowers the timer once thrown. It doesn't seems to be just either 1-99 or 100.

#79 FinnBat

FinnBat

Reitman's Fate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

Well I found the corrupted file.
Mystery as it, this file had two things wrong.
Militia lost their boots and level 1 lost trousers.

Now they have them all in this new file:

https://hotfile.com/...acters.txt.html

Download this and go to Steam\steamapps\common\jabia\bin_win32\configs
there you replace the old file with this new one.

Sorry for the trouble.
And great thanks for observing this.

FinnBat

FinnBats Blog

#80 daedalusxxi

daedalusxxi

A real Bubba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

Finnbat did you realize the cost of Guardian Armor is lower than Spectra one , but that

the shield points are higher also? Dont you think should be the oposite? more money = better protection?

Ps: there is a post of mine telling you it game was too easy...and yesterday my entire team was kicked out in

roadblock next to the SAM site... and second time I played only thanks to mr SandmanĀ“s Dragunov and Nails

acting as a distraction plus MD taking back from life to Steroid I managed to win the battle. I must say even

knowing where enemies are it was a soooooo great battle. Just wanted to say again: thanks for the great mod!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users