#1 Tiesemans

Tiesemans

Jagged Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands, Den Bosch

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:41 PM

I read the email I received today and I must say very very disappointing.
What I am reading are folks who are running into trouble.
Stating you wish to remove fog of war all together to help beginners, you are aiming for a money making game that has to serve a very wide audience !
Big mistake !!
Make a fantastic game for a small audiance and the game magazines and websites will pick up and make it bigger then life because it is good, very good !
Make a faulty game that rips through the dreams of many JA veterans and the ghost of JA will hunt you into bankruptcy !
I remember what happened to games like 7.62 Caliber and other disaster Jagged Alliance wannabes such as Brigade E5 !
Don't be dumb asses and make the same mistake take time for graphics, voice acting and AI and especially original game recognizable features such as fog of war, line of sight, action points, weapons and tools pickups + mechanics, special characters high on skills, locals training etc. ! !
Just to keep you guys sharp read what people had to say about 7.62, sad when you put in so much time but afterwards, after launch it needs a community made mod to help your product. :S
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-762/762-high-calibre
Incorporate the whole line of sight/fog of war in difficulty settings if everything else fails!
Easy = no fog of war Normal = with fog of war and advanced = old school Jagged Alliance for instance.
Always keep in the back of your mind the big errors competitors made with similar games which were launched as the new Jagged Alliance.
You folks are running the risk of making the same dumb mistakes that only costs huge amounts of money and time and which destroys hope of ever playing a good Jagged Alliance game again !
My 2 cents ?!
Filter out what made JA JA2 and JA,dg fantastic and make it your base to work from.
Don't blind people with hi tech gadgets and stuff .. keep it core and see how it will be a succes like JA ..
Cause if you say your making JA3 you better bring it like JA3 ! or game magazines and websites are gonna take you folks down big time !

#2 Jager

Jager

Jagged Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:30 PM

When I read that there is not going to be fog of of war in the game, I just rolled my eyes.

Having no fog-of-war just sounds like when a semi-retarded kid starts braging with the cheats he is using while playing games... What is going to be next? Unlimited ammo, unlimited money, invulnerable mercenaries?

Well you could implement these features as an option in the difficulty settings (name for the difficulty settings with these features would be: Retard).

But... doesn't tactical mean you should tactically deploy your mercenaries to see as much of the terrain as possible and be careful with the decisions you make and resources you have available? <_<

#3 BigFaTlaDy

BigFaTlaDy

Deadly Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:39 PM

Yes, Line of sight/fog of war are major gameplay points. Your tactical decisions are based on intel. If you got every intel it is truly like a cheat for 12 years old casual gamer, it is actually just that bad.
My actual rage level: [x] Under control [ ] Tomahawk under way [ ] Everybody is dead

#4 Omegakill

Omegakill

A real Bubba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:27 PM

Dev's, sorry but you cannot turn a JA game into a money making machine by removing "old" features and adding your own stuff, casual gamers is where the money is at and they wouldnt be interested in a game like this because there is a story to get through, there is progression with weapons and characters and would take too long for most to start enjoying it. Make the JA fan base happy, from what i've seen from different forums we're well over 10,000 strong and I'd say at least 65% of those would buy a close to JA2 remake. Now you sell your game for £30 then your looking at some serious cash...change the game to have no line of sight and remove other key features that we love about JA2 and you take out a lot of those 10k fans and won't appeal to many more. As you've seen from the sheer volume of posts by users here, we're worried. You know what you need to do and we want to pay you to do it. Please don't let us down.

#5 pepesha41

pepesha41

Little Ivan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:42 PM

Couldn't fog of war be a toggle option. Or tied into a difficulty level? Easy = no FOW. Ofcourse I'm only going by what I read as comments on this forum so I am not sure to what extent the method of sighting information is relayed to the player. But it doesn't make sense if FOW was actually removed completely. I think its more of a development problem implementing FOW maybe?

#6 bitComposer_Jochen

bitComposer_Jochen

Reitman's Fate

• Disabled
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt, Germany

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:02 AM

After the strong community response (and the good points the community made about it being importand for the overall gameplay) Fog of War was implemented into the game again.

I am sorry this information has not been communicated more agressively.

Please note that FoW doesnot look particularly impressive on promotion pictures, so there might be screenshots coming up without it.
But nevertheless, the game WILL feature fog of war!

best
Jochen
best regards
Jochen

If not explicitly marked otherwise all my statements are of personal nature and need not reflect the official position of bitComposer Games GmbH.

info@bit-Composer.com
www.bit-Composer.com

Die UI ist noch nicht final! / The UI has not been finalised, yet!

#7 Jager

Jager

Jagged Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:14 PM

Well, I am happy to hear that.

From the video footage that was published not long ago I can say it looks good enough - it is better to work good than look good.

Do different colors of line of sight mean you can spot enemies in different camouflage/cover status?

For example: if you have green line of sight - you will spot anyone, but if you have red line of sight, you won't spot those who are in yellow or green cover.

#8 rthicks

rthicks

Jagged Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:10 PM

the game WILL feature fog of war!

Thanks, Jochen. From the forums, it sounded like it was back but maybe not in the way people think of FoW. I'm one of those who feel that strategically finding the enemies is a major part of the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users